The Woman’s Club of Wilmette was founded in 1891 as a service organization dedicated to enriching the civic, educational, and social service sectors of our community. It stored books for the Elmwood Library Association until a public library opened to house them in 1904. It supplied lifeguards to the first public beach, supported a visiting nurse, oversaw the creation of Wilmette’s League of Women Voters, and ran a canning kitchen during World War II.
Today, the Woman’s Club continues its mission of service by hosting several annual events such as a rummage sale and an antique show as well as making annual contributions to various service organizations that provide aid to victims of domestic violence, to youth at risk, or to military personnel.
The Woman's Club of Wilmette has been devoted to community service since the early 1900's. Several longstanding local groups were organized within the Club's walls, including The Family Service Center of Wilmette (1913), the Parent-Teacher Association (1915), and the League of Women Voters (1924). The Club continues the tradition of providing support to important causes by making monetary gifts, collecting and donating needed goods, and by providing Club space for community events.