The YMCA is the nation’s leading nonprofit committed to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
The Y makes accessible the support and opportunities that empower people and communities to learn, grow and thrive. With a focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, the Y nurtures the potential of every youth and teen, improves the nation’s health and well-being and provides opportunities to give back and support neighbors. In neighborhoods across Chicagoland, we have the presence and partnerships to not just promise, but deliver, positive change.
• The Y is community centered. For more than 150 years, we’ve been listening and responding to our communities.
• The Y brings people together. We connect people of all ages and backgrounds to bridge the gaps in community needs.
• The Y nurtures potential. We believe that everyone should have the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive.
• The Y mobilizes local communities to effect lasting, meaningful change.
VOLUNTEER, COACH, MENTOR or TUTOR
At the Y, a volunteer's time and talent can go a long way to help a child, mentor a teen or provide support for families. Volunteers come from all walks of life but they share a common trait — wanting to help others.
There are many ways you can get involved with your local Y. Examples of volunteer opportunities include:
• Mentor or tutor a child
• Teach computer skills
• Teach swimming lessons
• Coach a youth sports team
• Serve as a front desk greeter
• Referee a youth sports game
• Assist with the maintenance or landscaping
• Host a baby shower for mothers in need
• Serve as an administrative or clerical assistant
• Assist with an activity during a Family Night Celebration.
Contact your nearest Y branch to discover the many ways that you can volunteer.
Get Your Company Involved
Does your company want to volunteer for a group service day? We can make it easy and rewarding.