Time: Tuesday evenings from approximately 6:00pm to 8:00pm
Commitment: Requires a 12-month commitment to volunteer weekly (with a “substitute” list available for occasional schedule changes). Occasionally there are opportunities for a commitment of every other week.
- Completion of the 40 Hour Domestic Violence Training (WINGS will provide this training, which is usually offered two (2) times a year.)
- Any personal experience with domestic violence should be more than two (2) years prior to applying for this volunteer opportunity.
- A willingness to keep the location confidential.
- Bilingual abilities are especially valued, but are not necessary for all applicantsDescription: – A staff member will plan the activities. Volunteers participate in the activities to provide the children with more individual attention. Because the age ranges of the kids vary widely, often a smaller group is formed to adapt to the activity to the age group. However, ratios sometimes vary due to the unpredictable nature of families in this situation.
- THIS MIGHT BE A GOOD FIT FOR YOU IF:
- – This is a great opportunity for people who enjoy very young children. Often there are enough babies and toddlers to designate a “nursery” where the volunteer assistant will comfort and cuddle the littlest ones, or read books and play with toddlers.
- – At the Safe House, there are weekly groups for the kids in the evenings. The evenings have different themes. For example; one night could be game night, one night could be focused around the theme of cooperation.
- You enjoy being with children of all ages.
- You are fun-loving and enjoy participating in games and crafts.
- You are flexible and able to respond to changing situations.
- You have strong personal boundaries and are able to demonstrate those to children.
- You are interested in being a role model and teacher to the children in the areas of social skills, conflict resolution and respecting boundaries.
- You feel good when you are helping others.
- You feel comfortable working with people in a diverse environment in regards to social-economic status, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and religion.
- You are non-judgmental about why families are in a situation where they are in need of help.
Opportunities Available: Tuesday Evenings
About The Kindness Connection:
The Kindness Connection (TKC) is an innovative nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization. Evidence shows that children who volunteer go on to be more giving of their time and resources as adults. With…Learn More