Time: Tuesday evenings from approximately 6:00pm to 8:00pm
Commitment: Requires a 12-month commitment to volunteer weekly (with a “substitute” list available for occasional schedule changes). Occasionally there are opportunities for a commitment of every other week.
- Completion of the 40 Hour Domestic Violence Training (WINGS will provide this training, which is usually offered two (2) times a year.)
- Any personal experience with domestic violence should be more than two (2) years prior to applying for this volunteer opportunity.
- A willingness to keep the location confidential.
- Bilingual abilities are especially valued, but are not necessary for all applicantsDescription: – A staff member will plan the activities. Volunteers participate in the activities to provide the children with more individual attention. Because the age ranges of the kids vary widely, often a smaller group is formed to adapt to the activity to the age group. However, ratios sometimes vary due to the unpredictable nature of families in this situation.
- THIS MIGHT BE A GOOD FIT FOR YOU IF:
- – This is a great opportunity for people who enjoy very young children. Often there are enough babies and toddlers to designate a “nursery” where the volunteer assistant will comfort and cuddle the littlest ones, or read books and play with toddlers.
- – At the Safe House, there are weekly groups for the kids in the evenings. The evenings have different themes. For example; one night could be game night, one night could be focused around the theme of cooperation.
- You enjoy being with children of all ages.
- You are fun-loving and enjoy participating in games and crafts.
- You are flexible and able to respond to changing situations.
- You have strong personal boundaries and are able to demonstrate those to children.
- You are interested in being a role model and teacher to the children in the areas of social skills, conflict resolution and respecting boundaries.
- You feel good when you are helping others.
- You feel comfortable working with people in a diverse environment in regards to social-economic status, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and religion.
- You are non-judgmental about why families are in a situation where they are in need of help.
Opportunities Available: Tuesday Evenings
About Special Gifts Theatre:
Special Gifts Theatre is a non-profit, educational and therapeutic theatre company for individuals with intellectual disabilities. We use the stage as a platform to develop social skills, speech and language…Learn More